“16. Folding bicycles in protective covers are permitted on all trains at all times…” – Metrarail.com
My folding bike is named Franklin. Franklin is a Gotham style bike from Citizen Bikes. You can buy brand name protective covers for these bikes, but I figured I could do better by creating my own.
<===== Cover in action. Pretty in cognito, no?
The good folks over at Headstash Roasting Company offered me several coffee sacks, which served as the fabric of the cover. I decorated it with pins and patches:
The Bomb sock pocket and the “Bikes not bombs” patch were both from The Hub Co-Op in Minneapolis. One pin is from Grid Chicago’s Streetsblog launch party, while three are ones I made at Artica Studios.
However, the patch that I am currently most proud of is the limited edition red one white cycling patch made by Chris Drew of the Art Patch Project. I rather fortuitously acquired it up when Mess Hall was still open. Moreover, I recently had the good fortune of re-encountering the Art Patch Project at Sol Cafe’s Chicago Ideas Week event, where Maria and Natalia were helping people print tee shirts with the city skyline.
Is it just me, or do coffee and cycling go hand in hand??
This bracelet looks at the interplay of biological and mechanical. I used upcycled bicycle chain and finished it off with snake vertebrae.
About three years ago I look a “Book Arts” course, which included some bookbinding techniques. That class prompted me to try my hand at that sort of thing, though I’m driven to use a slightly different assortment of materials than we did in that class.
This book is much more recent, made when I was at my parents’ new house in California. My goal was to use the items I had on hand, which meant a lot of miscellaneous bits of paper from my childhood. The lined and graph paper for the text block were the remaining unused pages from the school notebooks of my childhood, while the unlined pages were from an old address book.
I used the outer part of the address book as bookboard, and covered it with a piece of lined paper painted with some of my father’s homemade milk paint. I finished off the front using a piece of metal that I found locally in my parents’ neighborhood, and bound the whole thing with a piece of fiber rope, which I believe was made from New Zealand flax, known as harakeke to the Maori.